TypePad is a fine service and perfectly suitable for beginning and intermediate bloggers but I need more flexibility and marketing muscle than it can currently offer, so I’ve decided to use WordPress.
In order to get the most out of WordPress, I will host it myself.
The primary reasons for the move are
- Since WordPress is open source, I can customize my blog to my heart’s content
- Since WordPress is open source, its features and functionality continue to grow as more and more developers contribute their own plugins
- WordPress (through contributed plugins) offers the most control over my blog with regard to search engine optimization techniques
- There are more design options through contributed themes
- WordPress is free
Speaking of themes, I’m currently looking for a cool new theme for this blog that is fairly unique, customizable, yet not custom designed. My price range is zero to $100. If you know of any that you think would work for me, please post them in the comments.
Finally, please bear with me as I make this transition. In exchange for your patience, I’ll post some of the issues I run into along the way in case you’re considering making the same switch.
- Choosing Open Source Content Management Systems
- Sixteen Essential WordPress Plugins For Online Marketing
- Update Your Feed – The New Internet Marketing Blog
- Marketing Your Blog – Search Engine Optimization
- TypePad Is Not Ready For Prime Time