These are some tools and resources I put together for a demonstration I am doing today on creating Google Maps mashups using MapBuilder.net for MetroGIS:
Essential Google Maps Mashup Tools
- Mapbuilder.net â€“ MapBuilder is a Web 2.0 online
application that allows you quickly and easily build custom maps using Google
HTML knowledge is required. The main features of MapBuilder include Address
Geocoding, CSV file importing, icon selection, directions in a pop-up window,
collaborative map development, map sharing, hosting flexibility.
- Google Maps API Key â€“ In order to use MapBuilder
for creating a Google mashup, youâ€™ll need a Google Maps API Key, which you can
get for free.
- Google Account â€“ You will also need a Google Account in
order to get a Google Maps API Key. If you do not have a Google account, you can
sign up for one for free as well.
Google Mashup Examples
- Minnesota Dry Cleaning Locations â€“ We created this
mashup for our client Martinizing Dry
Cleaners to graphically and interactively display their Twin Cities
Twin Cities Entertainment Hotspots
– We created this mashup to
try out both MapBuilder as a tool as well as to try and use a Google Maps mashup as a
method for driving traffic to specific posts within a blog.
- The Sopranos Google Mashup â€“ This is a superb
demonstration of a Google mashup used to promote the HBO hit series, The
Sopranos. It is a map of the location of all the â€œhitsâ€ that take place in the
show with video clips of that particular hit from the episode in question.
- Weather Mole â€“ This mashup
combines Google maps with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration data
to give you a local weather forecast.
- MashMap â€“ Mashup of Google Maps data and movie showtimes
- MapBuilder Examples â€“ A list maintained by MapBuilder.net.
Additional Map Mashup Resources