I will be participating in a live town hall forum on social networking tonight at 6:30 on KSMQ, the regional PBS station based in Austin, Minnesota. The program will be moderated by Stephanie Passingham and my fellow panelist will be:
- Nels Pierson, Social Networking Participant
- Robin Callaghan, Winona State University professor, Mass Communication
- Julia Schrenkler, Minnesota Public Radio
- Todd Paddock, Winona State University professor, Sociology
- Tim Engstrom, Albert Lea Tribune
Here’s the description of the forum:
Meeting new friends, establishing business connections, catching up on the latest news.Â Social networking is nothing new. What is new is how we are accomplishing these traditional tasks. Social networking has exploded online.
We will be exploring the various forums and tools for social networking. A panel of experts will explain how each tool is used and what the social implication is on today’s society. Our discussion will revolve around three segments:
- Tools and forumsâ€”what are they and how do they work;
- Why do we use social networking and how has that changed with on-line networks; and
- Broad societal impact as a result, plus what to/not post and why.
Should be a great discussion; tune in if you’re within range. If not, you should be able to watch it online at KMSQ.org and I’ll post some video, if possible.